A little overexposure for the grand-prize winner in TrendMicro’s online-safety video contest wouldn’t hurt! “Overexposed,” produced by Nicholas Chen and Edan Freiberger, gets its slightly funny, slightly scary message across in under two minutes (watch it here). Its subject and the number of submissions in its category “Keeping a good rep online” both point to how top-of-mind online reputation management is these days. The winner of that category, “Flame Fart Kid,” by Zeek Earl, Chris Caldwell and Alex Park, sends a pretty clear message too! Other category winners were: “Pull the Plug on Cyberbullying,” by Matthew Bendo and KJ Proulx; “Perfectly Legal and Age-Appropriate,” by The Roberts Family; and “SPECIAL REPORT: BEHIND THE MODEM,” by Jeff Lurie, Josh Usheroff, Ben Goloff, and Chris Reineck. You can watch them all and learn a little about their producers here. Contestants submitted 120 videos over six weeks, 40% of them under 18. We at ConnectSafely.org helped with the judging.
Major exposure for ‘Overexposed’: TrendMicro’s winner
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Pretty faces in social media vs. mass media
- Risk implications of kids going mobile: Research
- A positive, insightful new book for schools on bullying
- Students called heroes in this 6th-grade class
- In the face of school violence, what do we default to?
- Popularity: The other kind of vulnerability
- FB & Oculus VR: The potential of a virtual-reality platform
- What’s (importantly) different about Snapchat
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Anonymous apps and services are not synonymous with ominous
- Facebook’s ‘Nearby Friends’ feature: What you need to know
- Identity theft a problem from cradle to grave — Kids most vulnerable
- How to protect your family from Heartbleed security flaw (slideshow)
- Beware of Heartbleed inspired phishing scams
- Are sites you use vulnerable to Heartbleed security flaw?
- Microsoft ends support of Windows XP: Machines highly vulnerable to security risks
- The evolution of online safety: Lessons learned over 20 years