Kudos to Apple for building extra layers of privacy and safety right into the iPhones of users who use apps that reveal their physical location. “Apple has long provided pop-ups that ask users to approve an app’s use of location information before that app can get access,” reports New York Times computer security blogger Riva Richmond, but there will be more in the iPhone’s new operating system (OS 4). “To make it clearer just how often approved apps are collecting data about users’ physical whereabouts, Apple will display an arrow in the status bar at the top of the screen, right next to the battery-life indicator, whenever a user’s location is being tracked.” This is on top of any safety features provided by the services themselves (e.g., loopt’s frequent privacy reminders and Glympse’s see-where-I-am-only-for-the-next-30-minutes timeout feature, explained by ReadWriteWeb). As the Times’s Richmond writes, we all love being able to find friends and great places to eat with the geolocation technology on all new phones, but we’re not so crazy about letting just anybody track us or telling “a frienemy where the party is”!
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- New Facebook policy targets guns, other regulated items
- Google’s new learning tool that learns
- The flap over Talking Angela the chatbot app
- About the worldwide ‘selfie’ phenomenon
- How technology will improve the well-being of young adults
- Calling our children narcissists on ‘a sociopathic scale’: Really!?
- Nothing complicated about this: Read ‘It’s Complicated’!
- Teens’ own (wise) perspectives on life with social media
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Smartphones that promise user privacy
- Author danah boyd on why teens and social media are ‘complicated’
- Security experts at RSA decry government hacking
- In defense of Internet safety education
- ‘Neknominate’ is a stupid and potentially deadly online dare game
- Confessions of a binge viewer
- People who suffer from so-called ‘game addiction’ have other problems
- U.S. Safer Internet Day focused on potential, positives and problems too