I’m a long-time fan of author Annie Fox, who teaches life literacy to tweens and teens through her writing and “Hey Terra!” advice site. So it was great to see she has a new book out: Real Friends vs. the Other Kind, the second in her new “Middle School Confidential” series. The book offers “insider information on making friends, resolving disputes, and dealing with common hazards of the middle school social scene – like gossip, exclusion, and cyberbullying, its press release says. There’s also expert advice on crushes, peer pressure, and being there for friends who need help.” Here’s Fox’s site.
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Students called heroes in this 6th-grade class
- In the face of school violence, what do we default to?
- Popularity: The other kind of vulnerability
- FB & Oculus VR: The potential of a virtual-reality platform
- What’s (importantly) different about Snapchat
- We ‘like’ faces in social media: Study
- Yik Yak update: How the app came to geo-fence off US schools
- Smart safety: YouTube’s ‘neighborhood watch program’
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Facebook’s ‘Friends Nearby’ feature: What you need to know
- Identity theft a problem from cradle to grave — Kids most vulnerable
- How to protect your family from Heartbleed security flaw (slideshow)
- Beware of Heartbleed inspired phishing scams
- Are sites you use vulnerable to Heartbleed security flaw?
- Microsoft ends support of Windows XP: Machines highly vulnerable to security risks
- The evolution of online safety: Lessons learned over 20 years
- Safety through mindfulness: Watch ‘The Science of Character’