An interview with David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center and a leading scholar on Internet safety
Archive | Safety Advice Articles RSS feed for this section
In response to a New Jersey mom's question about her daughter's photo-sharing nightmare, some advice from a police detective and a psychiatrist
Parents need to be parents but we also need to avoid buying into Internet safety myths. Teens may be more net-savvy than you think. Focus on real issues, pick your battles and encourage young people to be smart socializers.
What are the signs of this new sort of “addiction,” and what should a parent do if they’re apparent in a child? See what Dr. Block says….
Based on the latest research, here are the best "tools" for kids' safe and constructive use of the Net and tech for 2008….
Aside from the obvious – avoid pornography, hate speech and spewing out all sorts of personal information – there are more subtle ways to get in trouble.
You already know how to blog — do you know how to do it safely?
by Larry Magid Blogging is great. Just be smart about what you share (revised June 2006) Unlike the articles we write for parents and teachers, we don’t have to give you a course in blogging basics. As a teen, you’ve probably visited your share of blogs or “spaces,” and there’s a good chance you may […]
One of the best protections for online youth is awareness of how other people try to influence them – here are some of the ways….
Talking to your kids can go a long way.
NEW! Subscribe to our newsletter
Please sign up for our email newsletter. We publish about twice a month (you can easily unsubscribe if you need to).
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- At the IGF: Youth participation = greater youth e-safety
- Enabling peer protection: Knowledge is empowerment
- Millennials’ changing social media use: Survey
- Heard of Twitch? Amazon has!
- Dealing with the nasties online
- Leadership in bullying prevention and so much more
- Kindness really could be going viral! Just look…
- More clarity on teens’ ‘Am I pretty?’ videos
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Internet Governance Forum topics include human rights, network neutrality and child protection
- Protecting children online needs to allow for their right to free speech
- It’s time for schools to upgrade both technology and pedagogy
- Why Google (and Facebook) should admit kids under 13
- As Ferguson struggles, Georgia teens create app to rate police departments
- Tech can make driving dangerous, but also safer
- IAC’s Ask.com buys Ask.fm and hires a safety officer to stem bullying
- Massive data breach shows skills of Russian hackers