What are the signs of this new sort of “addiction,” and what should a parent do if they’re apparent in a child? See what Dr. Block says….
Archive | Safety Advice Articles RSS feed for this section
Based on the latest research, here are the best "tools" for kids' safe and constructive use of the Net and tech for 2008….
Aside from the obvious – avoid pornography, hate speech and spewing out all sorts of personal information – there are more subtle ways to get in trouble.
You already know how to blog — do you know how to do it safely?
by Larry Magid Blogging is great. Just be smart about what you share (revised June 2006) Unlike the articles we write for parents and teachers, we don’t have to give you a course in blogging basics. As a teen, you’ve probably visited your share of blogs or “spaces,” and there’s a good chance you may […]
One of the best protections for online youth is awareness of how other people try to influence them – here are some of the ways….
Talking to your kids can go a long way.
by Larry Magid A famous cartoon from the New Yorker shows a dog sitting in front of a computer telling another dog, “On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.” But now, thanks to the Internet, everyone knows everything about you. Or at least they might be able to find out. Online reputations are […]
Kids use cell phones in different ways than adults. It's time for adults to learn to text and kids to learn some safety tips.
Don't let your kids sit in front of a screen all day. Put them on a healthy media diet.
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Coding is cool (& crucial to businesses, economies)
- Students developing apps (and businesses) on the side
- ‘No negative impact’ from videogame play: Study
- ‘One Good Thing’: THIS is what middle schoolers are like
- Console gamers’ loyalties getting divided
- Flawed early laws of our new media environment
- The ‘lived curriculum,’ Part 2: What that looks like
- Digital citizenship, the ‘lived curriculum’: Part 1
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- National Center adds another layer to children’s safety online
- Recent hack discovery underscores need for better security and stronger passwords
- How to unfollow someone yet still be Facebook friends
- Check out the fine print before giving gift cards
- Tech gifts popular for young children this year
- Tell us ‘one good thing’ about using tech to make the Internet or the world better
- Twitter improves encryption against NSA and other snoops
- Tips for safe online holiday shopping