A look at the first study about the nude photo-sharing that has been reported in more than a dozen states – and some thoughts on the why of this and other types of teen self-exposure online
Archive | Safety Advice Articles RSS feed for this section
If a young gamer’s showing signs of addiction, “cold turkey” is far from the best course of action, Dr. Block suggests. Here’s why….
Here’s some clarification, food for thought, ideas for family discussion, and a recommended curriculum for schools.
We’re seeing some big victimization numbers, but let’s be sure we really know what cyberbullying is.
What to do when, where the social Web's concerned, the law protects sites more than users?
The feds have indicted 11 people for stealing millions of credit card numbers from the wireless networks of major retailers. What can you do to protect your family and your wireless network?
Here's help for non-digital natives who wonder what this online video phenomenon is all about and why it's so compelling to online kids.
What cyberbullying looks like in virtual worlds for children
An interview with David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center and a leading scholar on Internet safety
In response to a New Jersey mom's question about her daughter's photo-sharing nightmare, some advice from a police detective and a psychiatrist
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Zooming in on social norms (sidebar)
- Beginning of the end of #purge, revenge porn or social cruelty?
- For our kids & ourselves: Presence in a digital age
- Manage Net risk but focus more on opportunities: Researchers
- Proposed ‘rightful’ framework for Internet safety
- Social media in Saudi schools … sort of
- Textbook case of what NOT to do in teen sexting cases
- Breadth of videogames’ benefits to kids may surprise
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Don’t let stalkers or abusers and creeps track your phone’s location
- Let’s stop persecuting ‘Auschwitz selfie girl’ for smiling at a camera
- EFF launches free Privacy Badger for Firefox and Chrome to block hidden trackers
- Privacy and security tips for newly-minted college students
- Google to stop labeling apps with in-app purchases as ‘free’
- Home automation and ‘Internet of things’ is great — but think about privacy and security
- Time for public to weigh in on ‘net neutrality’
- The ‘real world’ is a lot more dangerous than cyberspace