If a young gamer’s showing signs of addiction, “cold turkey” is far from the best course of action, Dr. Block suggests. Here’s why….
Archive | Safety Advice Articles RSS feed for this section
Here’s some clarification, food for thought, ideas for family discussion, and a recommended curriculum for schools.
We’re seeing some big victimization numbers, but let’s be sure we really know what cyberbullying is.
What to do when, where the social Web's concerned, the law protects sites more than users?
The feds have indicted 11 people for stealing millions of credit card numbers from the wireless networks of major retailers. What can you do to protect your family and your wireless network?
Here's help for non-digital natives who wonder what this online video phenomenon is all about and why it's so compelling to online kids.
What cyberbullying looks like in virtual worlds for children
An interview with David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center and a leading scholar on Internet safety
In response to a New Jersey mom's question about her daughter's photo-sharing nightmare, some advice from a police detective and a psychiatrist
Parents need to be parents but we also need to avoid buying into Internet safety myths. Teens may be more net-savvy than you think. Focus on real issues, pick your battles and encourage young people to be smart socializers.
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- ‘No negative impact’ from videogame play: Study
- ‘One Good Thing’: THIS is what middle schoolers are like
- Console gamers’ loyalties getting divided
- Flawed early laws of our new media environment
- The ‘lived curriculum,’ Part 2: What that looks like
- Digital citizenship, the ‘lived curriculum’: Part 1
- When kids are skilled navigators of our networked world
- How social media helped save a life this week
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- National Center adds another layer to children’s safety online
- Recent hack discovery underscores need for better security and stronger passwords
- How to unfollow someone yet still be Facebook friends
- Check out the fine print before giving gift cards
- Tech gifts popular for young children this year
- Tell us ‘one good thing’ about using tech to make the Internet or the world better
- Twitter improves encryption against NSA and other snoops
- Tips for safe online holiday shopping