What should come first from a Net safety task force: better understanding through review of the research or a predetermined solution? Diagnosis or prescription?
Archive | Commentaries – Staff RSS feed for this section
As if "To Catch a Predator" wasn't enough, now there's a campaign to protect our children against predators who use Google Street View.
A story about a high school assembly in Colorado raises some important questions about how to teach online safety going forward.
Sometimes it's the little things we do that make the biggest difference.
It's not out of the question, says ConnectSafely's Larry Magid.
As the Internet and how young people use it increasingly reflect the breadth and complexity of “real life,” it’s time to rethink how we teach online safety.
See why it's increasingly important for users that social sites and services have clear, well-enforced Terms of Service.
They helpfully train the spotlight on user accountability and potentially give "teeth" to social sites' terms of service as user protection regs.
Great progress with parental controls – Web filters, number-blocking, etc. – has been made, but technology's not enough. Here's why.
Where teen online behavior's concerned, "accountability" is a more relevant term than "cyberbullying" for parents and educators to use and think about.
Safer Internet Day 2105
- Curious launches free ‘lean-back’ online courses
- The policy of student data privacy
- News & views from ConnectSafely: April 23, 2015
- Cyberbullying is not a joke: Celebrities and public figures can make a difference
- Facebook’s Scrapbook encourages photos of children, but think before you post
- Pew Survey: Reports of Facebook’s demise among teens greatly exaggerated
- Should I worry about my teens texting?
- Chromebooks & Google Apps appeal to schools & consumers
- Raising digital kids: 10 tips for improving parent-teen relationships
- Setting screen-time limits – for parents
- Digital Trust Foundation seeking proposals on digital abuse programs
- Parent bullying: The one-upper society
- What is the best way to introduce screen media to our three-and-a-half-year-old?
- Internet Explorer had a long and important life, but it’s time to move on
- Seven good smartphone security habits