See why it's increasingly important for users that social sites and services have clear, well-enforced Terms of Service.
Archive | Commentaries – Staff RSS feed for this section
They helpfully train the spotlight on user accountability and potentially give "teeth" to social sites' terms of service as user protection regs.
Great progress with parental controls – Web filters, number-blocking, etc. – has been made, but technology's not enough. Here's why.
Where teen online behavior's concerned, "accountability" is a more relevant term than "cyberbullying" for parents and educators to use and think about.
The Task Force convened by 49 attorneys general examines age verification, but what would it really accomplish?
The Home Office's guidance is a significant step of progress in online-child-safety consensus-building.
The Byron report, an influential document that has relevance for and hopefully influence on Internet-safety work worldwide
When "free speech" somehow becomes a license to harass and harm…
Teens sharing intimate photos of themselves and peers via cellphones and the Web – for "fun" or for harm – is a growing problem for police and prosecutors….
From PBS's Frontline, a portrayal of teen online lives that's thought-provoking and accurate and thus important fuel for the public discussion on online safety….
The One Good Thing project
The vast majority of things that happen online are positive. Let's tell that story - together. Learn more
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- An app for teens that promotes (& gets) positivity
- Sydney: A hashtag for a city (and world) in need of healing
- Doxxing: Key Internet safety risk & what to do about it
- Social problem data & youth: Cause for celebration
- Of parenting & a class called ‘Wasting Time on the Internet’
- Takeaways from premier US anti-bullying conference
- Do surveys about parents’ concerns increase digital-parenting confidence?
- The next version of ‘Internet safety': A look under the hood
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Smartphones are popular holiday gifts for kids that come with responsibility
- Prepare your family-tech before a major storm or power failure occurs
- Safety & civility advice for anonymous apps
- Sexual harassment victim’s secret weapon — ‘telling their mothers’
- Google ditching CAPTCHA for ‘I’m not a robot’ checkbox
- Twitter improves abuse reporting and blocking
- Safe holiday online shopping tips
- Anonymous apps get bad raps, but they fill gaps: The good side of anonymity