See why it's increasingly important for users that social sites and services have clear, well-enforced Terms of Service.
Archive | Commentaries – Staff RSS feed for this section
They helpfully train the spotlight on user accountability and potentially give "teeth" to social sites' terms of service as user protection regs.
Great progress with parental controls – Web filters, number-blocking, etc. – has been made, but technology's not enough. Here's why.
Where teen online behavior's concerned, "accountability" is a more relevant term than "cyberbullying" for parents and educators to use and think about.
The Task Force convened by 49 attorneys general examines age verification, but what would it really accomplish?
The Home Office's guidance is a significant step of progress in online-child-safety consensus-building.
The Byron report, an influential document that has relevance for and hopefully influence on Internet-safety work worldwide
When "free speech" somehow becomes a license to harass and harm…
Teens sharing intimate photos of themselves and peers via cellphones and the Web – for "fun" or for harm – is a growing problem for police and prosecutors….
From PBS's Frontline, a portrayal of teen online lives that's thought-provoking and accurate and thus important fuel for the public discussion on online safety….
NEW! Subscribe to our newsletter
Please sign up for our email newsletter. We publish about twice a month (you can easily unsubscribe if you need to).
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- What are we really seeing in the social media fishbowl?
- Spoiler alert: Kid loves teaching Twitter to Dad
- At the IGF: Youth participation = greater youth e-safety
- Enabling peer protection: Knowledge is empowerment
- Millennials’ changing social media use: Survey
- Heard of Twitch? Amazon has!
- Dealing with the nasties online
- Leadership in bullying prevention and so much more
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- High school kids show strong support for First Amendment
- UN bringing child rights into the digital age
- IGF attendees complain about censorship in Turkey while some advocate it for youth
- Internet Governance Forum topics include human rights, network neutrality and child protection
- Protecting children online needs to allow for their right to free speech
- It’s time for schools to upgrade both technology and pedagogy
- Why Google (and Facebook) should admit kids under 13
- As Ferguson struggles, Georgia teens create app to rate police departments