Without the likes of Walter Cronkite today’s youth have to figure out “the way it is” by themselves
Archive | Commentaries – Staff RSS feed for this section
There may be more benefits for children in thoughtful, contextual treatment of violence in games and other art forms rather than in trying to ban violence altogether.
There are good stragegies to prevent and stop cyberbullying but a proposed new law isn’t one of them
The annoucnement of Google’s Chrome operating system has Larry wondering if it will increase or decrease security ….
Grown-up virtual worlds are only just beginning to work out the best forms of governance in their online environments, and we’ll be watching to see how children’s VWs will contribute to the discussion.
It’s time to get students involved in “Internet Safety Night” and maybe call it something else.
Will cyberbulling laws help? Perhaps not
Insights from a DC gathering of prevention, social media and online safety activists
Some pioneering work in digital ethics and citizenship is key to online safety going forward.
Now that there are so many parents on Facebook and the social-networking industry itself has matured, here's what I'm thinking…
NEW! Subscribe to our newsletter
Please sign up for our email newsletter. We publish about twice a month (you can easily unsubscribe if you need to).
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Leadership in bullying prevention and so much more
- Kindness really could be going viral! Just look…
- More clarity on teens’ ‘Am I pretty?’ videos
- A bit of videogaming is good for kids: Study
- Virginia teen sexting case: (Somewhat) reduced injustice
- ‘Revenge porn’: Exposing cruel disclosure
- Zooming in on social norms (sidebar)
- Beginning of the end of #purge, revenge porn or social cruelty?
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Why Google (and Facebook) should admit kids under 13
- As Ferguson struggles, Georgia teens create app to rate police departments
- Tech can make driving dangerous, but also safer
- IAC’s Ask.com buys Ask.fm and hires a safety officer to stem bullying
- Massive data breach shows skills of Russian hackers
- Google to reward sites with HTTPS security in search rankings
- Five teens & ‘one mature adult’ create Push for Pizza app
- Safe computing includes minding your ergonomics