Talking to your kids can go a long way.
Author Archive | connect-safely-main
by Larry Magid A famous cartoon from the New Yorker shows a dog sitting in front of a computer telling another dog, “On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.” But now, thanks to the Internet, everyone knows everything about you. Or at least they might be able to find out. Online reputations are […]
Kids use cell phones in different ways than adults. It's time for adults to learn to text and kids to learn some safety tips.
Don't let your kids sit in front of a screen all day. Put them on a healthy media diet.
Researchers say kids' exposure to online porn may now be "normative among youth Internet users, especially teenage boys."
As presented by David Finkelhor, director of the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center, on Capitol Hill
Talking with your kids can go a long way towards keeping them safe.
It's very likely teens are alive today because they used social-networking sites to reach out for help.
Parents who have seen "To Catch a Predator" ask how much they should be worrying about their social-networking kids. Here are some facts.
Larry Magid talks about new research that suggests we re-think Internet safety education.
The One Good Thing project
The vast majority of things that happen online are positive. Let's tell that story - together. Learn more
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- An app for teens that promotes (& gets) positivity
- Sydney: A hashtag for a city (and world) in need of healing
- Doxxing: Key Internet safety risk & what to do about it
- Social problem data & youth: Cause for celebration
- Of parenting & a class called ‘Wasting Time on the Internet’
- Takeaways from premier US anti-bullying conference
- Do surveys about parents’ concerns increase digital-parenting confidence?
- The next version of ‘Internet safety': A look under the hood
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Smartphones are popular holiday gifts for kids that come with responsibility
- Prepare your family-tech before a major storm or power failure occurs
- Safety & civility advice for anonymous apps
- Sexual harassment victim’s secret weapon — ‘telling their mothers’
- Google ditching CAPTCHA for ‘I’m not a robot’ checkbox
- Twitter improves abuse reporting and blocking
- Safe holiday online shopping tips
- Anonymous apps get bad raps, but they fill gaps: The good side of anonymity