Let’s be clear: This is not about admissions offices checking applicants’ social networking profiles in their decision process. It’s about reaching out to high school students in social media from Facebook.com to Formspring.me. That statistic comes from Kaplan Test Prep’s 2010 survey of college admissions officers, says AllFacebook.com. But also useful is a college admissions thread the FB news site links to in Q&A site Quora.com. The only (apparent) college/university admissions person who unequivocally answered yes to the question (when I skimmed through the 11 answers): “Do Facebook and other online profiles affect admissions decisions for prospective college and graduate students?” was the Harvard College admissions interviewer, Allison Otis, who also has a blog (I googled her, and I think she’s who she says she is, but I’m curious as to whether her employer knows she’s blogging about the admissions process – and if she’s being encouraged to as a recruiting tool). Check out the good advice at the bottom of the AllFacebook.com post.
NEW! Subscribe to our newsletter
Please sign up for our email newsletter. We publish about twice a month (you can easily unsubscribe if you need to).
NetFamilyNews – by Anne Collier
- Leadership in bullying prevention and so much more
- Kindness really could be going viral! Just look…
- More clarity on teens’ ‘Am I pretty?’ videos
- A bit of videogaming is good for kids: Study
- Virginia teen sexting case: (Somewhat) reduced injustice
- ‘Revenge porn’: Exposing cruel disclosure
- Zooming in on social norms (sidebar)
- Beginning of the end of #purge, revenge porn or social cruelty?
Analysis & News – by Larry Magid
- Why Google (and Facebook) should admit kids under 13
- As Ferguson struggles, Georgia teens create app to rate police departments
- Tech can make driving dangerous, but also safer
- IAC’s Ask.com buys Ask.fm and hires a safety officer to stem bullying
- Massive data breach shows skills of Russian hackers
- Google to reward sites with HTTPS security in search rankings
- Five teens & ‘one mature adult’ create Push for Pizza app
- Safe computing includes minding your ergonomics